Thursday, September 2, 2010

accidental invention

Soon we're leaving to celebrate a 64th wedding anniversary with friends. He's not well, but his wife is throwing a party at The Living Center where he's staying. I decided to bake a cake using a basic old recipe that I modify for just about every occasion. My mother cut it out of the New York Daily News in the year she was married: 1926 and it's been published since then in a poet's cookbook, a family cookbook, and passed around and used in many forms for generations. What came out this time though was a modification I hadn't expected. Five minutes after I put the pan into the oven I noticed that I hadn't added the egg to the batter! It was already baking so it was too late. I didn't feel like driving to the store and didn't have enough of the ingredients left to start over. Not knowing what happens to a cake made without eggs, I just left it in the oven and sat down to read for awhile. Forty minutes later it came out all baked - a bit flatter than usual but it smelled and looked good. My husband convinced me to cut a piece and taste it and if it was okay it could perhaps be cut up into bars and sprinkled with powdered sugar. Never! it won't work, I said with great conviction. But that's what we did (after eating all the outer edges) and it's delicious. So we're off now to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment