Friday, July 23, 2010

shuttergram strikes again

I leave my house at 5:55 a.m. Greeted by a sky that looks eerily like the ocean downsideup. The air is cool enough to wear a light sweater, grasses and fields smell fresh from last night's rainfall, birds are awake and chirping. Why am I up so early? Actually out of bed and getting into my car? I have been asked to do a photo shoot. My role is secondary to the documentary being filmed with my 95 year old neighbor Manuel. I plan to keep a low profile and be unobtrusive - quietly shooting pictures with my cameras (Canon G7, Canon S90) and no flash.
Manuel and his many family members have been our neighbors for over twenty years since we first came out here. His working land is adjacent to ours. Much larger and in his family for generations - in fact the land our house is on once belonged to his sister who left this area many decades ago. We are the newcomers. In the past I've taken pictures of him from my second floor deck using a zoom lens - because he represents the quintessential farmer/rancher of northern New Mexico and may be one of the last of his generation. Also because I am editing a book about him. I won't reveal the subject of the documentary or the book yet. That will come later on in the year. For now I just want to say that the hours I spent today shooting, talking (yes, I managed that) reminded me why I have loved this area so much for so long and can't believe that I let it slip - or maybe took it for granted.
I strapped on my cameras, slipped my feet into sturdy Birkenstocks, donned a baseball cap, and felt like the photojournalist I always secretly wanted to be but never became. In my mind I called myself Shutterbabe but then remembered that great name was already taken a few years ago by Deborah Copaken Kogan as the title her book. Also she was much younger and I'm not sure I can be called "babe" anymore. So how about Shuttercrone? Shuttervixen? Shuttergrandam? Or nothing. Just do what I love whenever I get the chance.

There will be more about this project as it unfolds. As I write now, it is early evening, someone has to start supper, clouds have gathered and this morning's ocean-like visage gave way to blue sky and fluffy white clouds that have turned gray and silvery. Thunder rumbles insistently in the distance and if we're lucky, it will rain again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment