Friday, July 9, 2010

a contemporary manifestation

Ok. So I'm still doing this farmer's market eggplant thing. This one reminds me of the new yarn - and now I'm thinking that maybe I will make socks out of the yarn it after all. Then I can admire my warm feet all winter long and be reminded of (so far) this cool lovely summer. There's a small (3 vendor) market on Wednesday afternoons next to my neighbor's local hispanic art gallery. I stopped by and picked up, along with arugula and fresh fava beans, a bunch of squash blossoms.
When I was a kid my mother used to go outside in the early morning and pick the zucchini flowers from our small kitchen garden. She would lightly dip them in egg and flour, sprinkle salt and pepper and saute in olive oil. They were delicious, but I never told my friends about it because I was sure they'd think we were a weird family who ate flowers.

When I started this blog I made a casual vow not to write about extremely frivolous things - and then I realized that everything I write about barely (if at all) clears that standard. So here it is. I'm in love with Pandora bracelets and charms! (see, I did warn you).
When I was in CT last month I received an early birthday gift of a silver Pandora bracelet. I immediately bought two charms for it. I'd never heard of Pandora and was surprised to find that it's a fashion trend that's been gaining momentum for several years. How could I not know! Me. The fashion icon of Des Montes (slight exaggeration here - but I do read Vogue every time I have a hair appointment). Most of the women (of all ages) in my east coast family have them - personalized for their lives and interests - and they gradually add and change charms and beads. That's the fun of it. The pieces aren't permanently fixed like the charm bracelets of the 1950s and 60s. Since that fateful afternoon in CT more clips and charms have been added to mine. And now I have this really fun obsession running a close second to new yarn! On a limited budget choices have to be made and I am choosing silver (and gold if I win the lottery) over cashmere for now. I've exposed  my superficial side and proud of it!

...most of humanity's past was spent in hunter-gatherer cultures,
and women were the chief gatherers.
                             Thomas Hine, "I Want That! A Cultural History"

No comments:

Post a Comment