Sunday, July 25, 2010

it's only raining!

Thinking of all those moody rainy day songs I've heard through the years as this day continues gray and damp. Not gloomy. It's not easy for a vast sky vista to turn gloomy, but it does feel more New England coastal than Taos mountain clear. In a word, I'm enjoying the rare cozy feeling and have frittered away much of the day puttering, knitting, reading. Maybe by tonight I'll have accomplished the task I set this morning. Clear out and organize workroom so it will be ready for expected guests.

Yesterday at the post office the skein of Squoosh Fiberarts Merino Cashmere Sock yarn in color "Tuscany" was waiting for me. I ordered it from Eat, Sleep, Knit after receiving their latest newsletter containing raves about it. It contains only 10% cashmere but combined with the 80% merino it is incredibly soft. The color is actually lighter than the photograph above - more gold, with shots of olive. I started the Raha Scarf from Knitted Lace of Estonia. It looks lovely and is a fun pattern, however, the scarf is too narrow for my taste. I considered buying more yarn and increasing the pattern repeats, but changed my mind. I'll just look at it for awhile and see what comes.

It already triggers a memory of olive trees and foliage at Camporomano in Massarosa in Tuscany. I took a walk in a grove in a light rain that turned the whole area into a sort of misty dream. An olive oil estate has existed there for 300 years. The trees are thick and tall, gnarled into fantastic scary shapes. Nets had been placed on the ground beneath each tree to catch falling olives. Also existing on the estate at that time were the elderly Count and Countess. They were charming and attractive although the Countess was a bit deaf. My husband, who was quite chilled and uncomfortable during our stay, ran into the countess one  morning and mentioned that he was cold (hoping she would have someone turn on the heat in the old villa where we were staying). She smiled graciously and offered him an umbrella.

Ugo, the count's son
when I told him it was cold in our room
said not to worry, it will be fixed soon.
And looking into his clear blue eyes
I almost believed it.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment