Wednesday, November 24, 2010

warm in green

Happy Thanksgiving and here's a bouquet of hand warmers for you! 
Out of control? Possibly. Getting ready for the craft fair this weekend got me thinking about these things in general. This one coming up for the three day weekend after Thanksgiving is huge. There are over 300 vendors in three convention center buildings in Taos. Everything has to be handmade (no commercially made products allowed). It isn't juried. Therefore this annual Yuletide Craft Fair is a major hodgepodge of every craft item you can imagine and in various levels of quality and taste. There is amazing pottery and not so amazing pottery, churchlady potholders and crocheted acrylic afghans, award-winning jewelry, fresh Xmas wreaths, gorgeous Shibori hand dyed scarves, jam, carved furniture, satin stiletto Christmas stockings, amonite necklaces, leather work, handknits. And that's where I come in. 20 pairs of socks later...
What is it all about anyway? My conclusion is that craft fairs are simply a necessary guilt-reducing outlet for one's hobbies and passions run amuck! 20 pairs of socks? 12 pairs of hand warmers? And I'm just one person. Unless we are clothing a village, what do we do with all that output?

Historically, I guess that's the way all selling started. Our family in Pompeii made too much olive oil this year? Let's trade with Giuseppe down the via who made too much wine for his family. Mama mia's bread? She loved the smell of those baking loaves and made a few more than she needed, maybe the neighbors would like some. I hear they have an extra basket of figs. And so it goes.

In my small role as craft vendor for three days I have to admit that I generally do not trade. Although I am often approached - handknit socks are coveted in certain discerning circles. But when I consider the time that goes into knitting hundreds of thousands of stitches versus the sale price (way lower than it should be), most offers are not tilted in my favor. In addition to that, the three days are so intense, busy, noisy (one year we had to listen to two days of The Chipmonks singing Christmas songs loudly before it was finally turned off upon threat of a mass walkout) - I may not even get wander around and see if there is anything I want.

I'm looking forward to picking up the irresistible dynamic lime green alpaca and my new GoKnit pouch again. This color makes me so happy (see? this is how it happens). I'm halfway through another pair of Knitspot Roger socks with this yarn. They require a bit of concentration - I can't seem to memorize the pattern or "read" where I am in it easily - so I'm getting the patterning part out of the way so I can work on them while heading to NY next week - and who cares if the weather is cold and grey and nasty back there (any bets?) my feet will be warm in green. Unless one of the females in the family literally walks off with them.

acquamarine, viridescent, emerald
sea-green, grass-green, lime-green
my thesaurus says gullible, easily fooled
      simple

No comments:

Post a Comment