Monday, November 15, 2010

fate allowed

That's snow outside my west-facing french doors. It's still coming down. What started out as a sunny day with some wind and palest blue sky rapidly grew dark and ominous until now in mid afternoon winter has actually arrived. This is when I start reconsidering my decision to continue to live at 7500 feet in the mountains. It's a long time until May. But today has been one of those days!

This morning I learned that the package of hand knitted baby things sent out 12 days ago hadn't arrived at their destination yet. I went into immediate stress-mode until I realized that except for a few phone calls and being disagreeable to people who didn't know what to do either, it's fate was out of my hands. I started figuring how long it would take, if I began right away and knit super fast, to duplicate the items. No matter how fast I tried to knit I would not beat the arrival of the baby. I decided to be Zen about the situation as I drove to the post office to pick up today's mail. I did perhaps murmur a plea to the angels to help the package turn up somewhere. The yellow slip in my mailbox yielded the returned package! That was fast work mail angels! Equilibrium restored. Thank you. So now it's off again via FedX and should arrive safely. As will the baby who is due on the same day.

To mitigate the snow-wind-wintery feel this day has become, I only want to keep working on the alpaca Roger sock (Knitspot pattern). I'm doing it for pure pleasure in between craft fair production. It's going slowly. I'm using my beloved Classic Elite Alpaca Sox yarn - delicious for practically anything made at fingering weight gauge. I've tried almost all of their colors over the last couple of years for scarves, handwarmers, socks, a clapotis or two and have never been disappointed. And they add new colors now and then which should keep me occupied for years to come! At least until the winter is over.
 But alas! I have other commitments to attend to that are not nearly as much fun.

if I take the yarn
my warm hands will melt the snow
in this icy new world

No comments:

Post a Comment