Thursday, November 18, 2010

history is now

I just returned from an early morning meeting at the Des Montes Gallery. It opened in summer and is owned and operated by neighbor Floyd. I am working on a special project with him which I'll write about in future posts as we move along. Suffice it to say for now that I have watched with awe as a rustic space has been turned into a treasure chest of local Hispanic art. I hadn't been there in several weeks and was surprised by the mural that is being added to the building. It depicts the Des Montes/Arroyo Seco area past and present.

In spite of an influx of new people who through the years have come from every part of the United States and beyond to live here, the area still maintains its agricultural and ranching roots. In great part thanks to Floyd and his family who are a diverse group of multi talented people who have their feet comfortably in both worlds. At the head of the family are Manuel and Marina, both in their mid-90s.

When I get all New-Yorky-edgy and start thinking that I wouldn't want to be tied so closely into family and tradition, I look around me and understand that one of the reasons we came to live in Taos is because centuries of tradition exist for Hispanic and Pueblo people and we had lost that in our own lives. Perhaps it only existed in the lives of first and second generation Americans and weakened with us and our children. Our small family does of course have it's traditions, but they're new, don't go back centuries, and consequently aren't nearly as strong. This is good and bad because they keep changing. When asked my nationality I always responded "Italian" but I'm not from Italy. I'm what Martin Scorcese called American-Italian. We can't shake the latter and yet it remains elusive to us. Therefore, a hybrid form of exile exists for a segment of later generation Americans. My neighbors do not experience this self-imposed doubt about people and place. And landscape. Lest I forget, this is why the Taos Mountains are called in Spanish the Sangre de Cristos (blood of Christ).

Basta to useless musings and stunning abstract sunsets. I'm waiting today for a baby boy to be born - on this date that has historic significance to both sides of the family. And the formerly lost package of hand knitted baby items (causing great hysteria and consternation) should also arrive at its destination today. Big day!

How mysterious!
The lotus remains unstained
by its muddy roots,
delivering shimmering
bright jewels from common dew.
                                 Sojo Henjo (816-890)

No comments:

Post a Comment