Sunday, May 9, 2010

eggs, vin, and a rooster

A year or so ago our next door neighbors built a sturdy blue and magenta chicken coop, brought in a rooster and some hens. We thought it would be disturbing - all that cackling and crowing - but it was nice. The rooster, not knowing he was only supposed to crow in the mornings and in the evenings, called out randomly throughout the days and it felt so Sunnybrook Farm! A few months later he was gone. The hens stayed. This spring our neighbor's young daughters are in the egg business! We signed on as regular weekly customers and received our first dozen. The eggs come in colors! They are pale green, ivory, brown, palest blue. We're told that the color of the eggs is due to the color of the hens' ears. Eh, did I hear right? hens ears? I must find out more about this phenomenon. But meanwhile I think I'll make a nice omelet for dinner tonight (he'll want to add minced garlic), a half bottle of Pinot Grigio, blueberries for dessert.

And what is this mysterious small knitted thing? Let's just say it's all about hope and the future and old age and time marching on. There will be more to tell as the wee thing grows. But not today as I have to cram for my last French class/final exam tomorrow and it's making me nervous because I was a distracted student all semester.

The flame turned up high
garlic tossed in sizzling butter
     grandma's spirit pleased

No comments:

Post a Comment