Wednesday, July 17, 2013

on their way

Received messages, calls, and photos this morning from my daughter on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard for the day with other family members. This immediate connection is especially appreciated during these difficult days when many negatives and positives are converging and my far away family can get closer in real time via our cellphones and cameras. And thinking about salty water, waves, breezes, boats, has a calming effect.
It was so hot and humid in Connecticut when I was there recently that I took very few pictures of the beach, harbors and Long Island Sound. One evening we arrived at the beach with drinks and snacks and planned to stay for awhile. The tide hadn't turned from low to high, the air and water were still, and gnats swarmed. I took a couple of pictures, Dante had a swing in the playground, and we left.
I'm happy here in my southwest. The fields are green again due to the lovely rains we've had, the sky is blue, fluffy white clouds are overhanging the mountains, the temperature is comfortable, the colt on our land is frisky and beautiful, yet I can't help longing for the sea (and a sea change?) and feeling a little twinge of dissatisfaction. The voice inside says: you're never satisfied, are you? Such is life. Today I'll get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment