Tuesday, July 16, 2013

blur of fleeting days

I can hardly remember what day it is, much less the sequence of disparate events that changed my whole back-from-CT-I'm-taking-it-easy mentality. The death of my friend's husband in a plane crash, a good friend's major heart attack, my 98 year old neighbor's broken bones, my own husband's surgeries. There have been all night hospital vigils, EMS trucks in driveways, phone calls galore, tears and lots of worry, exhaustion, bursts of energy (like cleaning the kitchen at midnight -- at least two of us doing it last night), and many compassionate people rallying around each other. Good things happened: some steady rainfall and a drop in temperature, the launch party for the anthology (the book well received, the gathering well attended for a Sunday afternoon in one of the busiest summer weekends in Taos).
And the presence of this gorgeous colt on our land. He's only two weeks old and walked over to check me out when I got home this afternoon (his mother, friendly and unafraid nearby).  Oh, those long legs! He's a beauty. His presence a blessing.
So now, with slightly better news on most fronts, I plan to fix a light dinner, pour a glass of wine, take out my notebook and pen and write down whatever flows from my foggy mind.

Bad fortune us what good fortune leans on;
good fortune is what bad fortune hides in.
     (58th verse of the Tao Te Ching)

No comments:

Post a Comment