Thursday, February 14, 2013

the wind doth blow

Happy Valentine's Day
Ginger cookies not baked by me.
Sunday bake sale. Gone now.

It's a sunny blue sky day with fluffy white clouds hugging mountaintops picturesquely. It makes one think that warmer days are coming. Wrong. The winds are back! and they'll probably be with us until summer. Today blowing hard and cold! Pushing through every crack in window frames, under every door, as I huddle at my desk, with hot tea, in my Mrs. Patmore gray cardigan. Well, it's cashmere, but it's still a gray cardi and I don't look like any of the Ladies Crawley. But now I have to tell you a story that you will judge on your own. Your conclusion may be that I'm nuts, or need a vacation on a warm windless beach, or that it's just an ordinary nervous breakdown.

one last trick
As you know if you've been reading this blog, our dog Spike left us a couple of weeks ago. The next day I decided to set up a little "altar" in the kitchen. It's a practice here when someone passes on  -- you know, that follow the light thing? So why not our doggie? I found the last picture taken (I often tested the "kids & pets" settings on my cameras on him), set up a candle, incense, and we added one of his favorite bone-shaped biscuits. Nice.
He was a smart corgi mix, his language was always in his eyes, and now they seemed to watch us from the photo like those Jesus-eyes in velvet paintings.  The candle burned night and day, we got used to the effect. A couple of mornings later the biscuit was gone. It's only Ron and me in the house, the counter around the candle was kept clear, we'd had no visitors, there were no open windows or wind, neither of us had removed it. As realists we decided it had to be a mouse. But, I ask you, can a small field mouse (the only kind we've ever seen here) cart away a 4 inch long, 1/4" thick biscuit? I leave you to your own conclusions. You can guess what I think...please send donations to get me out of town pronto.




No comments:

Post a Comment