Sunday, February 10, 2013

lemons? make lemonade

My day didn't start out well. I got up early and prepared to make Lemon Pound Cake for the SOMOS Valentine's Day fundraising bake sale at one o'clock.
Humming along (I like to bake), I popped six small loaves of batter into the oven. Within 20 minutes or so I smelled something burning. Turns out that the oven decided at that moment to go wonky on me. Half the loaves were burning, the other half were pure liquid! I was already stressed out due to other unrelated circumstances and went a little ballistic - tossed it all into the trash accompanied by a variety of creative loud expletives that sent Ron to his studio and would have driven Spike under the bed if he was still with us (sad).
I didn't have the time or desire to start over or go to the supermarket for more eggs and butter and yogurt.  Instead I decided to just go to the sale to help and sell.
Turns out there was an abundance of fine baked goods and my famous lemon cake wasn't missed one bit. This photo shows only about half of what finally arrived (omg! that coconut cake in the center! and the almond tart at the front...!).  I came home with meringues, corn bread, gluten free chocolate cupcakes and a book, La Bella Lingua.
The SOMOS office is pretty special since it was moved into new quarters last year. Writers and readers donate books all year long and the walls are lined with a selection better than the best used book shops. It's all organized by Danielle, a former book shop owner - and she knows what she's doing. So today, folks left with cookies, cakes and books. What's better than that? There was even coffee and tea available.
On the way home in late afternoon the shadows on mountain snows were magical and amazing and all the cars coming down from the Ski Valley after a day of skiing were heavy with several inches of new snow (only a dusting down here at 7500 feet).
I talked with friends, met new people at the bake sale, and my stressed-out mood dissipated as I remembered to breathe and think positive thoughts and be thankful and mindful, to take time to talk to my son in Connecticut and at home, pay attention to the small package that I picked up at the post office on the way into town that contained a note and item from a friend - a BBF  I haven't seen or talked to in 40 years! More about that tomorrow.

All in all, SOMOS received a nice infusion of funds, very few of the baked goods were left, and a good time was had by all ~ and I'm in a much better mood.l

No comments:

Post a Comment