Saturday, March 31, 2012

bel esprit

clonk-clonk
Got myself out to the park this afternoon by 2 p.m. and it was already too hot for a refreshing walk! The raven was high in a still bare tree making noises (they don't "sing") and somewhat annoyed by my presence, but not enough to fly off. These guys are the size of cats and hobbits and I find them endlessly interesting - they're sort of the fearless avian kings of the trees.

sea turtle
found a fine use for the Lorna's sea turtle sport weight yarn - a triangle shawlette that I'm designing as I go along (with bits stolen from here and there). Love, love, the color - so spring (and not quite as lurid as the picture suggests - more seaweed-y/forest-y). I'm drawn to green, color of creativity and renewal!
a favorite read
...the recently published "restored edition" of A Moveable Feast.
There is a forward by Patrick Hemingway (son) and an introduction by Sean Hemingway (grandson), photos, revamped expanded chapters, additional Paris sketches and "fragments" that Hemingway originally wrote for the introduction and ending and then decided not to use (is it fair to include them now?) The original paperback has been a favorite of mine for decades and I still dip into the 1964 edition that's been with me since then (when I was 20-something and my 48 year old son was a baby...oh my!). I love the book and like so many other readers through the years I have been influenced by Hemingway's visions of Paris in the 1920's.

In those days it was no disgrace to be crazy,
but, on the other hand, you got no credit for it.
                E.H.