Monday, October 3, 2011

gifts

Back in the city after a long weekend on the ocean. I'm still processing the experience. Like yesterday morning when I was the only human walking on a stretch of beach that went on for miles. Imagine that! The whole Pacific Ocean for my eyes alone. Gulls accompanied me, along with a bird I haven't yet identified, who skittered at the edge of the foamy surf. A plover? A tern? It had a red beak.

first glimpse
Most days were softly overcast, creating a gray cashmere fleece kind of feeling. The sock project I brought with me was perfect. Alpaca blues matched the atmosphere.
We were three women in a beach house with needles (a baby hat, needlepoint, socks) and I finished one whole sock that came to the beach with me for a photo op. Back at the house there was talk, music, food, wine, our lives - and we stitched. One afternoon in a nearby town we sat on a deck overlooking the water, sipped wine and talked about books and Africa.

Since I am still in San Francisco, I will simply share a few seaside moments in this morning post. Another pleasantly busy day awaits. Musings, poems, talk of opera, socks and sparkly yarn, will come later.
Words on a sign over my computer read:

Today is a gift
that's why 
they call it
the present

No comments:

Post a Comment