Tuesday, December 14, 2010

ode to sox

This is probably going to be more of a sock report than anything else and ironic because in spite of all the hundreds of socks I've knitted through the years, in spite of the drawer upstairs filled with socks, as I sit here at my desk and write, my feet are freezing! Okay, so they are bare and in sandals. My home is passive solar and when the sun shines, even in winter, it's pretty warm - except in my workroom on the north side of the house. The single sock above is for the pair I'm working on for my great grandson's father who specifically requested them and approved the yarn. I had to recalculate size, number of stitches and make notes so they match. And I'm nervous about having enough yarn. I have no idea of how much extra I'll need to complete this pair so there is that small element of stress.
     After completing one sock I remember why I don't usually knit socks for men. They are bigger and (dare I say it) boring! This pre-patterned yarn is actually somewhat interesting, but overall, considering the wild array of colors and patterns I'm usually drawn to, not. However, I will push on, needles in hand, and continue because I like him and he asked for knitted socks and anyone who does that gets special consideration. Even my son who asked for a neck warmer in black!
     Also satisfying is when recipients of socks wear them! As in: the girls lounging around in their PJs and jeans. I was wearing mine too but with a baby in one arm and a camera in the other, my photo op was severley limited. By the way, those huge plaid PJs were on a slim and gorgeous 15 year old. Go figure.
What is it about socks? So basic. So fundamental. So fun. Even Pablo Neruda wrote Ode to My Socks. Do you know it? Socks knitted so fine he considered putting them in a cage and feeding them melon seeds. I love that image!

No comments:

Post a Comment