Saturday, December 11, 2010

shades of pale

Lately I'm enveloped in gray (no, I'm not depressed). Home again in sunny (today) Taos, I'm remembering the soft grays in Connecticut.

new perspectives
In Natalie Goldberg's book "Living Color: A Writer Paints Her World " she talks about really noticing gray for the first time when she looked at a stuccoed church against a Minnesota sky: Suddenly I appreciated that color. I saw how one gray could frame another gray. What she wrote is similar to what I felt walking along a beach path and boat yard last week. Then my friend in Cornwall wrote to me about the gray cliffs and sea there and sent a picture of her stone house in snow against gray sky. And I realized that what I've always considered a non-color is suffusing my life at the moment and it's not at all unpleasant. (NG): a sense of hugeness would be held in the color gray, a sense of afternoon and timelessness... Yesterday I saw alpaca yarn the same color as the Atlantic sky and sea and I want to wrap myself in it. (I'm knitting a cabled neck warmer in cocoa brown but may have to start another in gray).
special request
My great grandson's father wants a pair of knitted socks. He said all the women in the family have them and it's not fair. I generally don't knit men's socks for reasons that should be obvious to any sock knitters out there who love wild and crazy yarns as I do. As hard as I tried, I couldn't convince him that he'd love stripes and zig zags and rainbow colors - he's a guy after all - but I did dissuade him from solid navy, dark brown, and charcoal. At Westport Yarns I found a good compromise, cleared it with him before I left, and started right in on it. It is Online's Supersocke 100 Canadian-Color and although it is predominantly dark grays and black, there are occasional shots of cream and tan along with built in subtle patterning that keeps me interested. So far I love working on this yarn although I may find it difficult if I'm watching old movies in a dimly lighted room (last night there were three versions of A Christmas Carol on TV). Maybe it's a sunny-mornings-in-the- kitchen project. With black coffee.
cool silver star
against old marble buildings
     shining city lights

No comments:

Post a Comment