Sunday, June 27, 2010

UFOs in the closet

I was determined today to sort out the clothing jumble in my closet. With limited space (I only dream of a walk-in closet!) there is a tendency to fold and pile until the stack is tall enough to topple over. At that point I sort and stash because if I didn't the closet door wouldn't close. Since it's finally warm around here the in-between clothes can be stored and all the summer stuff brought out (as I write, another afternoon rain has caused the temperature to drop considerably, but I'll ignore that).
     During this process I found two unfinished knitting projects I'd started last fall before putting them away to knit sock after sock as I sat by my friend's bedside. Frankly, until today I'd forgotten these projects even existed. What a surprise to find that the entire body of the wrap cardi was finished - and I still like the yarn and style. Still to finish are the sleeves, neckband and ties, but after such a long break my interest has been rekindled. I know summer will fly and by mid-August there will be a slight difference in the color and slant of the light. Wild sunflowers will start to appear along the roadsides and when the asters appear later in the month, mornings and nights will be cooler. If I should venture into the pine woods I'll be able to smell the change coming. It is by far the best time of year and I know I'll love this sweater (if it turns out right and if it fits). So much of knitting is based on hope. Even for experienced knitters, expectation of success each time, each project, is an elusive concept. But we are prisoners of hope and keep marching on, needles in hand, trailing balls of beautiful yarn, imagining ourselves cosied-up in new sweaters.
     For the knitters who may possibly be reading this (is anyone out there?) here are some details: The pattern is:  Knitting Pure & Simple's "Neckdown Wrap Cardigan; The yarn: Dream in Color Classy, color: "Cloud Jungle". I would never have chosen this pattern for myself if I hadn't seen it on someone else. I'm hoping I'll look as good as she did. As for the second project I found, it is basil green cashmere in the early stages of becoming a cropped pullover. I stashed it back in the bag. Only one GIO (Guilt Inducing Object) at a time. Besides I'm continuing work on the shawl (26") and the baby sweater. Will think about the rest tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm here! I have this one started too, only I have decided to rip. I used cascade 220 and I don't think it' has enough drape. I may start over and do one in dk yarn but keeping the gauge so it's kind of open. Will look forward to seeing yours, I hear good things about DIC/classy

    ReplyDelete