Thursday, June 10, 2010

gulls, buoys, tarts

Dateline: East Norwalk, CT
Walk mornings to SoNo Bakery to write and drink a cappuccino. Lovely. When the humidity passed, it got cold, rained all day yesterday. I'd forgotten how gloomy and gray Connecticut can be - not a blue patch in the sky. Steady rain on the water last evening. Moored boats bobbing wetly, shore lights blurred. Went out to dinner with an old  friend and it felt quite cozy in the Harbor Lights restaurant. I have worn my cashmere lace shawl often.
     Serial Kniter Strikes Again! Stopped into Westport Yarns a few days ago and bought some gorgeous Lobster Pot 2-ply cashmere for another shawl and have been working on it every chance I get. I'm busy with family and friends but the down times are yielding another satisfying easy lace shawl. How lucky that I remembered to pack the 3.5mm Harmony circular before I left (due to prescience or expectation). It's perfect for this project.
So happy to be here near my beloved Long Island Sound. I grew up in the Bronx and our family outings were to the park near the Whitestone Bridge. Orchard Beach (where teen friends and I baked to acorn brown with bottles of Coppertone oil - or (omg!) baby oil with iodine in it!  City Island (where, with cousins, I played at penny arcades and my father was a regular on the fishing boat Apache). Many years in a southern Connecticut town, near a beach, where I learned how to ride a bicycle at 33 (I led a sheltered life) and switched to Bain de Soleil. The prevalent water views around here reinforce my love of sea salty air - even with humidity. In my youth I called it sultry - as in: I love sultry summer nights. Things change.
On the spring beach
water over empty whelk shells
Where have the crabs gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment