Tuesday, June 29, 2010

after haying

Before yesterday's late afternoon rainstorm.
When it passed a couple of hours later, the air smelled like honey and other things, the fields were wet, the meadowlark sounded cheerful (well, meadowlarks always sound cheerful). My neighbors had to stop haying - with half of the huge field still undone - until this week of monsoon afternoons passes. Damp baled hay rots and can't be eaten by cattle and horses later. But the hens are laying again! A dozen pale green and tan eggs in our fridge. It was reported to me that one of the hens was "egg bound" - suddenly laid 3 eggs all at once, keeled over and died! Oh my. This rural life certainly has its ups and downs. I never learned about these things at the Bronx Zoo.
I'm not a fan of graffiti, but this one on the side of a building along a path in Kit Carson park was artistic enough for me to want a picture of it when it first appeared last summer. It has been there ever since - no more, no less. But this morning walking the park with Spike, I saw that it had been painted over. The wall looks temptingly pristine now.

Knitting updates:
Wrap Cardi - the neckband (not as terrible as I thought it would be) and 3/4ths of one sleeve are completed. I tried it on in this unfinished state and it may actually fit when completed. That would be nice. Cool afternoons are keeping me working on it. Should the temperature turn hot again, I'll put it aside.

Lace Shawl, etc - almost used up first skein of Lobster Pot cashmere (400 yds) - length 28". Will put on hold before starting next half and get back to infant sweater in progress - to fulfill big plans for a second one (a cardi), matching hat and blanket by end of summer.


After late rain storm
Windbells are silent and still
Mug of cold green tea nearby
I take up needles and yarn
How strange the smell of sea wind
As soft blue passes through my fingers


No comments:

Post a Comment