Sunday, February 2, 2014

mountain high

After a day and a half of wind and lowering skies, the clouds lifted yesterday late afternoon to reveal new snow on the mountains. It's always a stunning sight, no matter how many times I see it. I'd just returned from a lovely afternoon. First at Moby Dickens bookshop for Phyllis Hotch's reading and talk and then a small group of women friends walked to the coffee shop and we talked and laughed non-stop covering every subject from illness, creativity, midnight poems, love, loss, weather. Just the thing I needed as my husband is about to begin treatment for a rare cancer. I came home inspirited and was able to convey some of that to him and mitigate his concerns for a little while. For the next couple of months we will probably be living somewhere else as he receives treatment so there's lots to do to prepare for that -- one reason why I haven't been blogging more than once a week. But we're hopeful and have tremendous support from family and friends near and far.

For now, I look up at the solid glowing mountain and something of its strength and light emanates down toward us to tell me that the future will be bright. In spite of the turmoil and "startling changes" for the world that feng shui experts are predicting for the Chinese Year of the Wooden Horse (which is apparently marked by considerable fire -- fire and wood? uh, oh).
And in honor of the Chinese New Year of the Wooden Horse, Issa's poem:
     Hey, sparrow!
out of the way,
     Horse is coming.


No comments:

Post a Comment