Monday, November 11, 2013

of handsome sailors

I hadn't realized it was Veteran's Day today until I noticed facebook friends posting pictures of fathers and husbands and American flags. I was reminded about a photo that sat on the coffee table in my parents home for decades and that I still had somewhere. So I decided to join the flow, found the photo, and wrote on fb that we weren't much of a military family, but my father was in the Coast Guard, a handsome uncle was in Panama during WWII, and I do remember quite well my handsome brother Frank. He joined the Navy when I was five years old -- asked for permission to leave after his little sister's birthday and permission was granted. He became a pharmacist's mate on board the aircraft carrier USS Saipan from 1945-48. I posted this picture on facebook an hour or so ago and so far six of my friends seem to have fallen in love with the young sailor. My 81 year old friend said he was the kind of guy she wanted to dance with at YMCA dances!
He is my only sibling and will turn 86 in January. He is still handsome. I do wonder though, whose hand he is holding in this photo. I'm going to find out!







No comments:

Post a Comment