Wednesday, October 30, 2013

snow, then

A few years ago, my friend Sean Murphy wrote a novel called The Time of New Weather (excellent, funny, smart) and today that title flits in and out of my mind as a variety of weather comes to Taos. Always new, even if familiar. It's that time of year again. And we still don't have a fireplace in this odd contemporary house (there's just no place to put it with all the windows and glass walls). A blazing fire would be perfect tonight as the snow falls. But if we wait a few minutes it will all probably change. After rain/snow last night the clouds began to lift...
by the time I walked in the park it was lovely...until it changed again...
It's good weather for writing and editing and I'm making progress in those areas. There's actually more coming out of me than I can keep up with. A very unusual occurrence! But I'm not questioning it, just going with the flow as I'm trying to do with everything else in my life that's gotten a bit complicated lately -- but at least I don't have to knit inventory for a craft show (yea!).
My dear friend Phyllis's life and new book of poetry was celebrated on Sunday at the Taos Jewish Center and about 50 people showed up. I was given the honor of saying a few words about her and how we worked together for SOMOS through the years and about our Italian/Jewish/Bronx connection. She has been my friend, sister, mentor and inspiration for a long time. And she's working on a new collection as I write this.

The path is hidden
by snow,
invisible,
but thoughts of you
lead me onward.
       (Zen Master Ryokan)





No comments:

Post a Comment