Wednesday, September 11, 2013

on that day

An extraordinary day of remembrance and clouds. Every year on this date, the Taos Volunteer Fire Department hoists up their tallest crane and attaches the American flag to its very tip. I love it, it's very moving (and I can never get a full picture of the truck and crane because the firehouse is on a busy road and I can't get far enough away to snap a photo without risking a hit and run!). How can any of us forget how terrible that day felt, no matter where we were. I salute the firefighters who risk their lives to protect all of us.
Rain during the night and clearing in the morning revealed an incredibly bewitching scene that resembled a Japanese brush painting. The season has definitely turned. This morning had all the earmarks of autumn. And all day, as the sun shone, the drama in the sky was unreal. But real. It's where we live. That in itself is extraordinary. So much in my life these days fits that description.
Driving home from various errands on an ordinary road....
The first time I laid eyes on New Mexico it was after traveling 2,000 miles. On a late afternoon in July we drove west into Tucumcari on I-40 where we stayed over before heading up to Taos next day. All I saw were the clouds. I hung out of the car window snapping picture after picture and declaring that I'd never seen clouds so close except from an airplane window. I think I saw a pink pond that day, too. That was in 1986 and I've never gotten over New Mexico clouds in cobalt skies. I'm loving the cooler temperatures and my walks in the park are invigorating now instead of enervating. Chamisa is blooming yellow and more rain is expected tomorrow.
happy birthday
wonderful gathering last night to celebrate friend Tania's 50th b-day (she looks 30). A small gathering of friends, conversation, food, wine. I had to go alone, but didn't feel alone at all. The specially made b-day cake kind of slid off the tray and ended up as an original basket cake. It was delicious, made by Mica at the brand new Farm Market Cafe at Overland.
Listening to Leonard Cohen today (Dear Heather, "On that Day")

Did you go crazy
or did you report
on the day that they
wounded New York

No comments:

Post a Comment