Sunday, October 14, 2012

rhythm of my time

it's like a novel
First snow, yellow leaves, cotton candy sunset, morning frost that changes the landscape for a brief time, afternoon warmth. It's all magical (and a little unnerving) at this time of year.
Each night is a bit colder than the one before, I now regularly wear warm sweaters with scarves during the day, handwarmers while walking and driving, rummage in the wool socks drawer for the pair I like best that I haven't seen since May. Feel pleasure of their warmth on my cold feet and remember when I bought the yarn in a tiny shop in Arizona, thought it looked like candy, bought it, immediately walked back to the creepy hotel in Winslow to start knitting socks, surrounded by knitting friends, most of whom I have lost contact with.
this oldish house
I want these fall days to last until spring. I dread winter with it's snow and frozen mud, bone-chilling winds that bring the breath of the highest peaks to our door.  Our house was designed nearly 30 years ago (by someone from Alaska) as passive solar with supplemental radiant heat. If you're a hardy sort (and he must have been) the passive solar works. We're not. It doesn't. We've tried alternative heating through the years, but nothing works perfectly in an unperfect house.  But we do have views. Oh yes, we do have views! Our living arrangement sort of falls into that "let 'em eat cake" category.
  
Zen, the internationals, and good vibes
Nice zazen yesterday lead by good friends Sean and Bruce at the latter's Metta Theater. Years ago the three of us and a handful of others, met regularly at a friend's earthship to sit, write, walk. Many things have changed through the years, the friend moved to Santa Fe, we all started doing various other things connected to our writing (Sean Murphy has authored three books since), acting (Bruce is a playwright, poet, actor, runs the theater), other practices (they got enlightened, I knitted). They continued their Zen practice, are still in Taos and it was a pleasure to renew the connection.  We plan to meet regularly through the winter.

chicken soup for whatever
Still in an enlightened state, I stopped at the organic market and bought a bunch of ingredients, came home and made a huge pot of chicken soup. Then off again to RuYi Studio for the closing events of the week. Music, food, exhibits featuring beautiful interesting things to buy. Julia happily went away with a pair of Mittz that she said inspired her.
She's a new knitter working on a Vogue pattern that she is fearlessly modifying. It took me years to get to that point, but she's undaunted I'm sure she will be designing her own patterns before long and I'll soon be inspired by her work.

ole
Rachel  gave an impromptu demonstration of flamenco dancing. Her movements were poetry. I didn't get any good photos, but this one will give you an idea of her grace.
You'll have to imagine the rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment