Tuesday, October 16, 2012

high on a hill

the way it's going
I'm trying to loosen myself from outside commitments but it's oh so hard. I find myself swept into various worthwhile events and days definitely have fewer hours -- even though I awakened at 4:30 this morning. Not by choice, but acceptance of no more sleep forthcoming, got out of bed to write by candlelight in the kitchen although my hands were hurting after all the knitting I'd done the night before because the handwarmers I've been making are going out the door faster than I can keep up with them. whew! It's gratifying of course -- for others to love what you love to make. But the bottom line is that I do need to have an inventory at the end of November that will last for three whole days of holiday shoppers. So what to do? Make an emergency cashmere run to Santa Fe as soon as day breaks.
hunting and gathering
A few days ago, in hopes that she hadn't used it, I negotiated with long time knitting pal Josie to buy back the cashmere she bought from my stash several months ago. Why? Because the small stash I kept turned out to be the bestseller in the Mittz department. Gorgeous basil-colored Mongolian cashmere. The price of the same yarn this year, from the same source (and others) is astronomical -- way higher than it was two years ago. What's going on with Mongolian cashmere goats? Have they formed a union or something? Did the goat herders leave for the Bahamas? Taking their combs? Leaving the goats with Rasta locks? Josie hadn't used the yarn, was saving it (in the freezer) and although she stated that it would be akin to cutting off her (gorgeous, long) hair, she'd sell the cashmere back to me. Arrangements were made for a parking lot deal at Trader Joe's while Ron was inside getting lost in the wine section. So now the yarn is home again and as soon as my hands stop hurting, I'll get back to work on another mitt for the future pair above. It's already spoken for. And start the next one...and the next one...

take a break today
Focaccia. Delicious. Rosemary-studded. Fresh-baked. Focaccia! Bonnie conducted a private class for six of us at mutual friend Judy's place at the top of a winding gravelly dirt road, "turn left at the large rock near the small arroyo" (first sort-of-off-road test for new non-SUV-car which passed with an A). Judy is a retired long time Taos art gallery owner and her contemporary home is filled with beautiful tasteful things. Bonnie gave us a demo and tips (Jeannie and I studiously scribbling notes on the backs of our recipe sheets), and invited some of us to knead (I didn't, because that I know), popped the olive oil-drizzled dough into the oven and by the time we were pouring wine for lunch, the first loaf was ready. Yum! to the whole afternoon.
(storytellers and food) reminder: 
Bonnie Lee Black is editor of Storied Recipes, available now from the SOMOS organization in Taos (www.somostaos.org). The books are a good read, make a great gift, are filled with interesting recipes (sorry, no focaccia) and selling like the proverbial hotcakes. This is the book I co-edited and managed production on, so I have a personal interest in seeing it lead a successful life. Trust me. You'll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment