Tuesday, February 14, 2012

love is in the air

Ah, kissing in Paris! how I wish I was there (how I wish I had her body!).  

Happy Valentine's Day!  
We bought chocolate and flowers and wine (not conducive to achieving a body like hers) and decided to stay home and watch romantic movies. We didn't load up on Valentine gifts for each other even though we said we would exchange gifts today. And the temptations were strong. Michelle's shop is having a sale on shoes and panties! Enchanted Florist is selling scarves, Blue Sky has pet clothing, Cupid-Approved wines at the Wine Shop, and every restaurant seems to have booked someone to play music or sing love songs from 5-9. We used to make a big romantic deal of this day but in recent years our enthusiasm waned and we largely ignored it. I guess we got old and grumpy. But we still like to watch romantic movies together. Room With a View and Summertime...on TCM tonight. Katherine Hepburn so annoying in that movie - uptight about protecting her virtue against dreamy Rossano Brazzi in Venice...(although I think she might have given it up on Burano). And I do love her red shoes.

But who wrote about love and sex better than Pablo Neruda...

Body of a woman, white hills, white thighs,
you look like a world, lying in surrender.
My rough peasant's body digs in you
and makes the son leap from the depth of the earth.
               (first stanza Body of a Woman, trans. W.S. Merwin