Thursday, February 16, 2012

eats and treats

Something I read today made me think about tea parties and I began checking out recipes (I've written before about how easily I'm influenced by external suggestion). That exercise led to my actually baking something. I'd been looking at a bowl of overripe bananas for a couple of days, planning to toss them, but didn't. Instead, even though we're not big on banana bread, I vaguely remembered a recipe I'd jotted down a few years ago and sort of remembered that we liked it. It's healthy, simple, textured, and ever-so-slightly crunchy. Here it is.

Nutty Banana Tea Bread (makes one loaf)
375F

3-4 overripe bananas (= 1 c mashed), juice of l lemon
1/3 c canola oil, 1/2 c dark brown sugar
1 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp each of salt, baking powder, baking soda, wheat germ
1/2 - 1 c slivered almonds (or chopped walnuts, or whatever you like)

1. mash bananas, mix w lemon juice till smooth
2. blend oil & sugar together, add to banana mix
3. sift tog flour, salt, powder, soda, stir in wheat germ
4. add to banana mix, stir in nuts
5. turn dough into greased 4x8" loaf pan, bake for about 45 minutes
test for with knife or toothpick
cool and lightly sprinkle with confectioners sugar
Put on a pot of tea, invite some poets over, read excerpts from M.F.K. Fisher's books, call yourself Cafe Beret


and speaking of...
For a good read that eerily parallels, to some extent, our present economic hard times, read Fisher's 1942 book "How to Cook a Wolf" (as in the one at the door). She serves up advice,  practical tips, recipes (with names like Eggs in Hell and War Cake). And always, a touch of humor.

Butchers, usually, are very pleasant people, in spite of having at some time in their lives deliberately chosen to be butchers.

about bread baking: It does not cost much. It is pleasant. One of those almost hypnotic businesses, like a dance from some ancient ceremony.

from foodie to fashionista 
(not exactly true, but I like using the words)

Through the years I have sold and gifted many felted bags that I've made. I'm a handbag lover (understatement) with too many, but haven't kept one of my own creations. Until today when I unexpectedly found myself sorting and inventorying completed knits (in an effort to avoid facing unfinished knits). And there, in all it's felted magnificence, was the bag I remembered hoping wouldn't sell at the Yuletide fair in November. It didn't. And now it's mine.
I just have to remember not to show it to my daughter and granddaughters . But one of them is having a birthday next week....