Friday, December 6, 2013

a vagary of impediments

Cattle in the snow snapped from car window across the street on Taos Pueblo land. The mountains were disappeared all day, the sun came out weakly for about twenty minutes late in the afternoon and as darkness fell the roads become treacherous. I was happy to be back home with wine, friends, good food -- and some incredible Italian gelato of black raspberry & chocolate shavings (of which I ate too much). The weather so far this season reminds me of a winter three years ago, when my friend was dying. The cold inevitability of that winter of frequent storms, slippery mud, frozen mud, more snow. And how it continued until the end of March. It feels at this time, that a long long winter is ahead. I think I'd like to be a bear and hibernate in my bear cave, as the winds blow and the snow flies outside. I would emerge when the rivers begin to swell and the sun has returned.
I've been doing lots of writing about the 1950's and looking through old photo albums. It's been a trip. Galley sheets came in yesterday for my essay and photographs for the Stitching Resistance anthology coming out soon from Solis Press in England. I'm looking forward to it and feeling full of myself!

tea time
So I'll pour a cup of tea and celebrate while my husband is researching mermaids and my friend is researching the names of bird flocks -- specifically magpies at the seed bowls who are apparently a congregation. (I am still knitting and will post some pictures soon).





No comments:

Post a Comment