Friday, August 9, 2013

web of forces

When a light wave encounters an atom, the electric fields in the wave cause the electrons in the atom to move around and accelerate. It is this interaction that gives rise to the properties of color & light.
This is the scientific explanation of a sunset given by James S. Trefil in Meditations at Sunset -- a book I've had since moving to this place of dramatic sunrises, sunsets, clouds, a book I often refer to. For a few seconds last evening, I thought I'd be sucked right into the color that surrounded me as I stood on my deck. By the time I snapped two quick pictures the sky had turned dark and all color was gone. Without the pictures, I might have imagined it. This was not scientific, it was magic and very much sangre de cristo -- as these mountains were named by ancient (Catholic) people.
I went on to read about color in general. What we see isn't exactly all about wavelengths and atoms, there is the psychological part of color perception wherein our mind does all sorts of things that embellish the light that strikes our eyes. Well. My experience since last evening is pink and I think it's real. Pink this, pink that. Pink hollyhocks (who don't mind dry conditions) are flourishing all over town and in gardens. Not mine. Every time I planted them they died. I gave up long ago.
This afternoon's rain clouds are gathering. They may or may not bring rain, but we're hopeful. In general there is a lightness of spirit seeping into my life again -- I hope it builds and lasts. I'm not being a pessimist, just wary. In my puzzling dreams there are many people, rooms, water nearby.
Here I am, discoursing on life and science as if it's news to anyone, as if I know what I'm talking about. But I do know about the giving, the taking, the upside-down quality of each day.


No comments:

Post a Comment