Friday, April 23, 2010

snowy day in the mountains

Taos, New Mexico

It's spring. It's almost May. The white apricot blossoms outside my workroom window opened two days ago and I envisioned sparkling jars of apricot jam in June that would last through next winter. I watched a hummingbird flit from blossom to blossom - vibrating stillness in the air for long moments drinking in nectar. I took pictures, but he was fast and the photos came out looking rather more abstract than figural. After handfuls of days when the temperature reached nearly 70 degrees, the wind suddenly started to blow in great gusts and we woke up this morning to two inches of snow. I suspect that the blossoms will have frozen and there goes next winter's jam. The three horses on our land (a neighbor's) don't seem to mind the snow and are leisurely browsing through the new grass beneath the wet under thick cloud cover. This chilly, gray closed-in day makes me think about doing nothing more than reading or knitting. A good time in which to start a blog about knitting and other things.

About myself, I can tell you that I have three overriding creative passions: knitting, photography, writing - not necessarily in that order and sometimes all at once! I'm an editor, published writer, mother, grandmother, wife, friend - I even once had a knitting pattern and essay excerpt published in Interweave Knits.

I often write what I call "Moment Studies" - notebooks (the paper kind with fountain pen) kept on a daily basis - like a Zen practice - that include brief terse word sketches, haikus or haibuns - often accompanied by photos. I set a time frame (six months, a year, a month) and go. I will make entries in this blog in that same spirit - catching moments in time. As I learn to include photos and other goodies, I hope it will be of interest to kindred spirits. Until then, and for this snowy moment, please be patient with words alone.

Lorraine

No comments:

Post a Comment